Manchester Airport - Compensation for Delayed Flights - Flightright UK

Trustpilot 4.1/5 based on 2,132 reviews

Manchester Airport - Ticket refund and compensation in case of flight delays and cancellations

Check your claim for compensation online now in just 2 minutes

Manchester Airport
Air passenger rights expert

Approved by Oskar de Felice

Air passenger rights expert

99% success rate in court
Since 2010 on the market
No financial risk

Manchester Airport flight delays and cancellations

Manchester Airport is one of the busiest airport in the UK and flies to more than 226 different airports worldwide, albeit some of which are seasonal only. If you fly from this airport, there is a chance that you could suffer delays or cancellations. According to Flightright Data, in 2023, Manchester Airport had a total of 83,093 scheduled flights. Out of these, 743 flights were cancelled, representing 0.89% of all scheduled flights. In addition, 508 flights were delayed, making up 0.61% of the total. There were 1,251 incidents, which constituted 1.51% of all departing flights.

If you have been subjected to disruption at Manchester airport, we will help you to uphold your rights against the airline that you flew with. Use our free online calculator to instantly check, free of charge, if you’re eligible for compensation.

Check your claim in 2 minutes

Your rights when delayed at Manchester Airport

  • Under EU legislation up to €600 compensation
  • When the flight was delayed at least 3 hours, cancelled or overbooked
  • Regardless of the ticket price
  • Claim on flights up to 6 years old

Tips and Tricks when delayed at Manchester Airport

  • Get the airline to confirm the cause of delay
  • Insist on your basic benefits and services at the airport
  • Exchange contact information with other travellers
  • Gather proof: photos, receipts of expenses, vouchers etc

Here is a more thorough breakdown of your passenger rights and the EU Regulation

Under what conditions does your delayed flight qualify for compensation?

The amount of compensation you’ll be eligible for is dictated by the distance of the flight – not on the amount you paid for your ticket. Fundamentally, your flight must land at its destination with a delay 3 hours or more and be applicable under current EU Regulation. Your claims are valid up to 6 years retrospectively. Here is an overview of which compensation you’ll be entitled to, according to the circumstances of your delay:

Delay, cancellation, overbooking or missed connection flight? You are entitled to:

Short distance up to 1500 kmMedium distance up to 3500 kmLong distance from 3500 km
e.g. London – Edinburghe.g. London – Athense.g. London – Tokyo
250€400€600€
Check your claim in 2 minutes

Statistical Overview of Airlines at Manchester Airport in 2023

Manchester Airport experienced significant activity from multiple airlines. The most active carrier was easyJet, operating a total of 17,787 flights, with 222 cancellations and 119 delays. The second most active carrier was Ryanair, operating a total of 15,248 flights, with 54 cancellations and 97 delays. Following close behind, Jet2 managed 10,248 flights, with 21 cancellations and 77 delays. TUI Airways (Thomson Airways) operated 6,644 flights with 1 cancellation and 13 delays. Aer Lingus managed 3,991 flights with 89 cancellations and 16 delays. Overall, the operational data from Manchester Airport in 2023 showcases the performance of these top airlines.

Top 5 Airlines at Manchester Airport

Below is a summary table of the top 5 airlines based on the number of flights, cancellations, and delays at Manchester Airport:

Airline NameTotal FlightsCancellationsDelays
easyJet17,787222119
Ryanair15,2485497
Jet210,2482177
TUI Airways (Thomson Airways)6,644113
Aer Lingus3,9918916

Additional services at Manchester Airport

In cases of heavy delay you’ll be entitled to some services. Eligibility hinges on the length of your flight and the length of the delay experienced. Here is an overview of the circumstances under which you qualify:

  • Short distance, below 1500 km: from 2 hours delay – free drinks, food and 2 phone calls, emails or faxes
  • Medium distance, between 1500-3500 km: from 3 hours delay, free drinks, food and 2 telephone calls, emails or faxes
  • Long-haul, from 3500 km: from 4 hours delay, free drinks, food and 2 telephone calls, emails or faxes

Delays of more than 5 hours

If delayed more than five hours, you can – regardless of the distance – withdraw from your flight. The airline must either reimburse you for the costs or offer an alternative method of transport.

Departure not until the following day

The airline is responsible for finding you a hotel room, and transport to and from the hotel and airport, as well as covering the costs for both. Contact the airline directly and ask them to commit in writing to your hotel room and transfer.

Check your claim in 2 minutes

Our Flightright Guarantee

Thanks to our expertise, we enforce compensation with a very high success rate. That’s why we are able to guarantee a completely free service in unsuccessful cases!

  • up to €600 compensation per person
  • over 11,000,000 happy customers
  • 99% success rate in court

Useful advice & information about Manchester Airport

Manchester had a record number of passengers in 2016, the figure reaching over 25.5 million, with people flying to 226 airports worldwide. Amsterdam was the most popular destination flying out of Manchester Airport, and they offer long haul flights to the USA, India and more.

Punctuality could do with some improvement

Based on Flightright data, in 2023 Manchester Airport recorded a total of 83,093 scheduled flights. Of these, 743 flights were cancelled, representing 0.89% of all scheduled flights. Added to this, 508 flights were delayed, representing 0.61% of the total. There were 1,251 incidents, or 1.51% of all departing flights.

Wifi at Manchester Airport

You can use the airport’s wifi for free for as much as 60 minutes. After that they start to charge by the hour (£5), by the day (£10) or by the month (£30).

More information about Manchester Airport can be found here.

Recently cancelled or delayed flights at Manchester Airport

Here you’ll find delays and cancellations at Manchester Airport that could entitle you to financial compensation. Use our online calculator to check your entitlement to compensation and let Flightright do the rest of the work.

Search

When strikes occur at Manchester Airport

If your flight is disrupted due to strike action at Manchester airport, you’ll be eligible for some services at the airport, and the airline might provide alternative transportation to your destination. Unfortunately strikes are deemed to be an ‘exceptional circumstance’ and as such no compensatory claims can be made against the airlines in this case.

What rights do I have as a passenger if my flight is canceled due to a strike at Manchester Airport?

If your flight is planned to depart from Manchester and there is a strike at the airport, first check if your flight is affected by the cancellations due to the strike. According to the EU Passenger Rights Regulation, you are entitled to alternative transportation or a refund of the ticket price. In addition, you may be entitled to compensation if there are no extraordinary circumstances, and it is an internal airline strike. Contact your airline for further information regarding substitute transportation, rebooking, or ticket refund as well as on-site services such as meals and, if necessary, accommodation and transportation to the hotel.

Can I get compensation if my flight is delayed or canceled at Manchester due to a strike?

A flight cancellation or significant delay of more than three hours due to a strike is often considered an extraordinary circumstance, provided the strike is not within the control of the airline or its personnel. There is no entitlement to compensation in case of extraordinary circumstances. However, passengers should be aware of their rights to basic care and catering services at Manchester Airport. This includes meals, refreshments, and, if necessary, accommodation, depending on the duration of the delay and the flight distance. Also, important to know: If your flight is canceled because the airline staff is on strike, you are entitled to a refund of your ticket price, alternative transportation, on-site catering, and additional compensation.

Scroll to Top