London Stansted Airport Delays and Cancellations - Flightright UK

Trustpilot 4.1/5 based on 2,132 reviews

London Stansted - Ticket refund and compensation in case of flight delays and cancellations

Check your claim for compensation online now in just 2 minutes

London Stansted
Air passenger rights expert

Approved by Oskar de Felice

Air passenger rights expert

99% success rate in court
Since 2010 on the market
No financial risk

London Stansted flight delays and cancellations

London Stansted is one of the airport that flies to most destinations in Europe in the UK. Worldwide, it flies to over 175 airports. London Stansted Airport operates with a relatively low number of delays and cancellations – this could be as a result of it often flying to a lot of smaller, and therefore less busy, airports. Nevertheless, disruptions do occur at Stansted. According to Flightright Data, in 2023, London Stansted Airport had a total of 80,091 scheduled flights. Out of these, 280 flights were cancelled, representing 0.35% of all scheduled flights. In addition, 506 flights were delayed, making up 0.63% of the total. There were 786 incidents, which constituted 0.98% of all departing flights.

If you have flown from Stansted and suffered a delay or cancellation, we will help enforce your rights with whichever airline was responsible. Our free online calculator is simple to use and will tell you if you’re eligible for compensation.

Check your claim in 2 minutes

Your rights when delayed at London Stansted

  • EU regulation – up to €600 compensation
  • Ticket price irrelevant
  • Flights as far back as 6 years old
  • When the flight arrived at least 3 hours late, was cancelled or overbooked

Tips and Tricks when delayed at London Stansted

  • Establish the reason for the delay with the airline
  • Gather proof: screenshots/photos of vouchers, receipts of expenses etc
  • Take advantage of your basic benefits and services at the airport
  • Exchange contact details with fellow delayed passengers

A more detailed breakdown regarding your passenger rights and the EU Regulation.

In which case is your flight delay eligible for compensation?

The total compensation hinges on the flight distance – not on the amount you paid for your ticket. Fundamentally your flight has to arrive at the destination with a delay of at least 3 hours and fall under the current EU Regulation. Claims are valid as far back as 6 years retrospectively. Here is some information about which compensation you’ll be entitled to:

Delay, cancellation, overbooking or missed connection flight? You are entitled to:

Short distance up to 1500 kmMedium distance up to 3500 kmLong distance from 3500 km
e.g. London – Edinburghe.g. London – Athense.g. London – Tokyo
250€400€600€
Check your claim in 2 minutes

Statistical Overview of Airlines at London Stansted in 2023

London Stansted experienced diverse operational performance among its top airlines. The most active carrier was Ryanair, operating a total of 54,915 flights with 167 cancellations and 362 delays, reflecting significant activity. Following close behind, Jet2 managed 6,614 flights, with 5 cancellations and 38 delays. Ryanair UK handled 4,635 flights with 15 cancellations and 4 delays. easyJet operated 3,680 flights with 34 cancellations and 33 delays. Overall, the operational data from London Stansted in 2023 showcases a well-managed airport with minimal disruptions relative to its high traffic volume.

Top 5 Airlines at London Stansted

Here is a table listing the top 5 airlines based on the number of flights, cancellations, and delays at London Stansted Airport:

Airline NameTotal FlightsCancellationsDelays
Ryanair54,915167362
Jet26,614538
Ryanair UK4,635154
easyJet3,6803433
Pegasus2,253012

Additional benefits at London Stansted

Badly delayed departure? You have the right to some services at the airport. Qualifying for these depends on the distance of your flight and how long you’ve been waiting. Here, you’ll find an overview of what you’re eligible for:

  • Short distance, under 1500 km: 2 hours waiting time – complimentary vouchers for food and drinks, as well as 2 phone calls, emails or faxes
  • Medium distance, between 1500-3500 km: from 3 hours waiting time – complimentary vouchers for food and drinks, as well as 2 phone calls, emails or faxes
  • Long-haul, from 3500 km: from 4 hours delay, free drinks, food and 2 telephone calls, emails or faxes

Delays of over 5 hours

If the delay exceeds 5 hours you are within your rights to withdraw from your flight. The airline is obliged to reimburse you the costs or offer alternative transportation.

Departure postponed until the following day

The airline must organise a hotel for you, as well as transport between the hotel and airport if the flight is delayed until the following day. Get in touch with the airline directly and ask them to confirm this in writing.

Check your claim in 2 minutes

Flightright’s Promise

Thanks to our expertise, we enforce compensation with very high success rates. That’s why we are comfortable promising a totally free service if your case is unsuccessful!

  • up to €600 compensation per person
  • over 11,000,000 happy customers
  • 99% success rate in court

Useful advice & information about London Stansted

Punctuality could do with some improvement

According to Flightright data, in 2023, London Stansted Airport recorded a total of 80,091 scheduled flights. Of these, 280 flights were cancelled, representing 0.35% of all scheduled flights. Added to this, 506 flights were delayed, representing 0.63% of the total. There were 786 incidents, or 0.98% of all departing flights. London Stansted experienced a high volume of flights with a notable contribution from Ryanair, which was the most active carrier.

Wifi at London Stansted

Stansted offers up to 4 hours of free wifi, which requires a registration to gain access. For additional wifi, or if you frequently fly through Manchester Airport the following options are also available: 24 hours (£9), 6 months (£70) and 1 year (£130).

More information about London Stansted is available here.

Recently cancelled or delayed flights at London Stansted

Here you’ll find delays and cancellations at London Stansted that could entitle you to financial compensation. Use our online calculator to check your entitlement to compensation and let Flightright do the rest of the work.

Search

What happens when there are strikes at London Stansted

Strike action at Stansted that causes delays and/or cancellations does not entitle passengers to compensation, as strikes are considered to be an ‘exceptional circumstance’. Affected passengers may at least be able to claim some additional benefits and services, and their airline may provide alternative transportation to the original flight destination.

What rights do I have as a passenger if my flight is canceled due to a strike at London (Stansted) Airport?

If your flight is planned to depart from London (Stansted) and there is a strike at the airport, first check if your flight is affected by the cancellations due to the strike. According to the EU Passenger Rights Regulation, you are entitled to alternative transportation or a refund of the ticket price. In addition, you may be entitled to compensation if there are no extraordinary circumstances, and it is an internal airline strike. Contact your airline for further information regarding substitute transportation, rebooking, or ticket refund as well as on-site services such as meals and, if necessary, accommodation and transportation to the hotel.

Can I get compensation if my flight is delayed or canceled at London (Stansted) due to a strike?

A flight cancellation or significant delay of more than three hours due to a strike is often considered an extraordinary circumstance, provided the strike is not within the control of the airline or its personnel. There is no entitlement to compensation in case of extraordinary circumstances. However, passengers should be aware of their rights to basic care and catering services at London (Stansted) Airport. This includes meals, refreshments, and, if necessary, accommodation, depending on the duration of the delay and the flight distance. Also, important to know: If your flight is canceled because the airline staff is on strike, you are entitled to a refund of your ticket price, alternative transportation, on-site catering, and additional compensation.

Scroll to Top