Scandinavian Airlines flight delays and cancellations
Scandinavian Airlines or SAS as it is sometimes called is the National airline of Sweden, Norway, and Denmark. While the airline is not prone to delays, it has had a fairly worrisome cancellation rate.
With Flightright, your claim to a SAS delayed flight compensation or a SAS compensation for cancelled flights is sure. We have the right resources to ensure that you get SAS delay compensation for the inconvenience that you might have experienced. Use our free online compensation calculator to get started.
Your rights when delayed with Scandinavian Airlines
- According to EU law you may be entitled to as much as €600 compensation
- Ticket price not a factor
- Flights as old as 6 years may be valid
- When the flight was postponed at least 3 hours, overbooked or cancelled
Tips and Tricks when delayed with Scandinavian Airlines
- Get the airline to confirm the reason for the delay
- Insist on your basic amenities and services at the airport
- Gather proof: screenshots/photos, receipts, vouchers etc
- Exchange contact information with other disrupted travellers
Recent flight delays and cancellations with SAS
This Scandinavian native has proven itself in the area of punctuality in recent times. Although there are still a few shortcomings, we believe that SAS is making good progress. We have compiled in a table showing how SAS has fared in terms of delays and cancellations and have made the same available to you.
A more thorough breakdown of your airline rights and the EU legislation.
Under what conditions is your flight delay with SAS eligible for compensation?
The conditions for which an SAS passenger become entitled to an SAS delay compensation are as follows; that an SAS flight arrives at its final destination, more than 3 hours after the ETA or in the case of flight cancellations, cancellations without prior notice of 14 days and above.
The EU 261/2004 regulation specifies these conditions and the sanction would not apply if the delay or cancellation is as a result of extraordinary circumstances such as union strikes or bad weather.
SAS passengers are entitled to an SAS delay compensation in the event of any of the following:
- Flight delay: If your SAS flight arrived at your destination more than 3 hours after ETA.
- Flight Cancellation: if you were not informed of cancellation or informed less than 14 days before departure.
- Overbooking: If you had suffered a denied boarding due to overbooking of your flight.
- Missed connecting flight: If you missed a connecting flight due to a delay in one of the legs and you arrived at your destination more than 3 hours later than expected.
Don’t take any excuses!
- Meal vouchers or accommodation (in the case of an overnight delay) does not suffice for compensation.
- All flight packages are covered by this regulation and only the person on the passenger manifest and who have suffered the delay, irrespective of who paid for the ticket, will receive compensation for the disturbance.
- Your claims are valid up to 6 years retrospectively.
- Only extraordinary circumstances such as union strikes or bad weather relieve the airline of this responsibility.
Find below an outline of SAS flight delay compensation you are entitled to, based on the distance of your intended flight:
- Short distance flight delays – Below 1500km – Passengers are due €250 compensation from SAS .
- Medium distance flight delays – Between 1500km and 3500km – Passengers are due €400 SAS compensation.
- Long distance flight delays – Over 3500km – Passengers are due €600 SAS compensation
Delay, cancellation, overbooking or missed connection flight? You are entitled to:
|Short distance up to 1500 km||Medium distance up to 3500 km||Long distance from 3500 km|
|e.g. London – Edinburgh||e.g. London – Athens||e.g. London – Tokyo|
How to claim compensation from SAS
Claiming your SAS flight delay compensation is quick and easy. You can even get started now. Use our free online compensation calculator to determine your eligibility for an SAS compensation. Once you are eligible, we will help you stake your claim to a flight delay compensation.
We have helped over 8.8 million passengers get recompense for SAS flight delay. Join our growing list of satisfied customers today! Get Started!
SAS Additional services at the airport
For extended SAS flight delay or cancellation, you are automatically entitled to certain benefits. Although these rights and benefits may vary depending on the distance of your flight, it is important to note what these benefits are. Below, you’ll find an overview of what you’re eligible for:
- Short distance: from 2 hours waiting time – free drinks, free food and 2 telephone calls, emails or faxes
- Medium distance: from 3 hours waiting time – free drinks, free food and 2 telephone calls, emails or faxes
- Long-haul: from 4 hours waiting time – free drinks, free food and 2 telephone calls, emails or faxes
In the case of a delay of more than 5 hours, regardless of the distance, you can withdraw from your flight at no cost to you. Scandinavian Airlines is obliged to either reimburse you or offer you alternative transportation to your destination.Departure delayed until the next day
When delayed till the next day, you’re eligible for a stay in a hotel, including transport to and from the airport. Always ask that confirmation of your hotel room and transfers be provided in writing.
Your flight didn’t take off yet?
You can simply enter your flight details for your future flight and we will let you know whether you’re eligible for compensation. Enter your flight here:
- up to €600 compensation per person
- over 8,800,000 happy customers
- 99% success rate in court
Useful advice & information about Scandinavian Airlines
Scandinavian Airlines’ main hub is located at Copenhagen-Kastrup airport, and it operates between 90 destinations – making it Europe’s 8th largest airline. The airline transported 29.4 million passengers in 2016 and was the first airline to fly on a polar route.
SAS continually ranks as one of the most punctual airlines in Europe, but a glitch in its cancellation numbers presents a potent challenge for the airline. Statistically, you are over 6 times more likely to have your flight cancelled outright than suffer a delay of over three hours.
Great Compensation Response
This is one aspect where the airline has got it right. The airline’s response to compensation request is one of the swiftest in the industry and this has continued to add to their great ratings. When you choose Flightright, we can bring to bear our great relationship with SAS airlines to help you get the SAS compensation you deserve, quick and easy.
Information about online check-in
When flying with Scandinavian Airlines, the online check-in policy is that a customer may check in as far back as 22 hours prior to takeoff or as close as 1 hour before takeoff. As with many international airlines, there are sometimes exceptions to the rule, so it’s best to confirm it with them before your flight. If the check-in can be done online it is always advisable to take this option as it’s the most efficient. They also have an app to make check-in even easier.
Had flight problems with Scandinavian Airlines?
Flightright takes care of your rights in the event of flight delays, cancellations and overbooking and is committed to ensuring that you receive your compensation from the airline.