Scandinavian Airlines flight delays and cancellations
Scandinavian Airlines (SAS) flies to 90 worldwide destinations, utilising 156 aircraft, and is the national airline of Sweden, Norway and Denmark. In 2016 it cancelled an above average amount of outbound flights from the UK, although it didn’t suffer from many delays when compared to its counterparts.
If you have been subjected to flight disruption with SAS, we will fight to uphold your right to be compensated. Use our straightforward online calculator to check for free if you’re eligible for compensation.
Your rights when delayed with Scandinavian Airlines
- According to EU law you may be entitled to as much as €600 compensation
- Ticket price not a factor
- Flights as old as 6 years may be valid
- When the flight was postponed at least 3 hours, overbooked or cancelled
Tips and Tricks when delayed with Scandinavian Airlines
- Get the airline to confirm the reason for the delay
- Insist on your basic amenities and services at the airport
- Gather proof: screenshots/photos, receipts, vouchers etc
- Exchange contact information with other disrupted travellers
A more thorough breakdown of your airline rights and the EU legislation.
When do flight delays lead to customer compensation?
The amount of compensation hinges on the flight distance - not the amount you paid for your ticket. Fundamentally your flight has to arrive at the destination airport with a delay of at least 3 hours and be applicable under the current EU Regulation. Claims are valid up to 6 years retrospectively. Below is an overview of which compensation you’ll be entitled to, according to the circumstances of your delay:
Scandinavian Airlines - Additional services at the airport
If you suffer a heavily delayed departure, you’ll incur some basic services at the airport. These vary depending on the distance of your delayed flight. Below, you’ll find a breakdown of what you’re eligible for:
- Short distance, less than 1500 km: from 2 hours waiting time - complimentary food/drinks and 2 phone calls, emails or faxes
- Medium distance, between 1500-3500 km: from 3 hours waiting time - complimentary food/drinks and 2 phone calls, emails or faxes
- Long-haul, from 3500 km: from 4 hours waiting time - complimentary food/drinks and 2 phone calls, emails or faxes
No matter the distance of your flight, if the delay reaches more than 5 hours, you have the right to cancel your flight. The airline must either reimburse you or get you to your destination using alternative transportation.Departure delayed until the next day
If the departure is pushed back until the following day, the airline is obliged to cover a hotel stay for the night, as well as transport to and from the hotel and airport. Contact the airline directly and request written confirmation of this.
Thanks to our expertise, we enforce compensation with a very high success rate. That’s why we are comfortable guaranteeing a completely free service should your case prove unsuccessful!