London Heathrow flight delays and cancellations
Heathrow is the second busiest airport worldwide (after Dubai international) and connects to 185 other airports in 84 countries. When you consider its size it fares acceptably compared to other UK airports in terms of flight disruption. Nevertheless passengers are still sometimes beset by delays and cancellations.
If you suffer disruption we will help you to claim your compensation with whichever airline you were flying with. Make use of our free online calculator and check if you’re eligible for compensation.
Your rights when delayed at London Heathrow
- According to EU law up to €600 compensation
- Flights as old as 6 years
- Regardless of the price of the ticket
- When the flight was delayed more than 3 hours, overbooked or cancelled
Tips and Tricks when delayed at London heathrow
- Establish the reason for the delay with the airline
- Collect proof: photos, receipts of expenses, vouchers etc
- Exchange contact information with fellow passengers
- Insist on your basic benefits and services at the airport
More detailed information regarding your passenger rights and the EU-regulation.
In which cases are flight delays eligible for compensation?
The amount you paid for your ticket has no bearing on the amount of compensation you can receive - this is determined by the distance of your flight. Fundamentally your flight has to arrive at its destination with a delay of at least 3 hours and fall under the current EU regulation. Your claims are valid retrospectively for up to 6 years. Here is some information about which compensation you’ll be eligible for:
Additional services at London Heathrow
If your departure is heavily delayed you’ll be eligible for some benefits. These depend on how long you’re delayed for and the distance of the flight. Below is an overview of what you’re eligible for:
- Short distance, below 1500 km: waiting 2 hours or more - complimentary food and drinks, as well as 2 phone calls, emails or faxes
- Medium distance, between 1500-3500 km: waiting 3 hours or more - complimentary food and drinks, as well as 2 phone calls, emails or faxes
- Long-haul, from 3500 km: waiting 4 hours or more - complimentary food and drinks, as well as 2 phone calls, emails or faxes
If the delay time extends past 5 hours you’ve got the right to cancel your flight. The airline is obliged to either reimburse you in full or offer you alternative transportation.Departure postponed until the next day
When the flight is delayed till the next day the airline must see that you are accommodated in a hotel and cover your costs of transport to and from the hotel and airport. Get in touch with the airline directly and ask for a written commitment on your hotel and transfers.
The Flightright promise
Thanks to our expertise we enforce compensation with a very high success rate. This is what allows us to offer a free service if your case is unsuccessful!
Doing it yourself
annoying and unpromising
cost risk: €0
very time-consuming (paper-warfare with the airline)
small chances of success
often no experience (complex field of law)
high stress factor (paperwork, phone calls)
simple and straightfoward
cost risk: €0
takes little time (2 minutes)
high chances of success
experienced travel legal experts (enforced more than € 150,000,000)
absolutely stress-free (We enforce the compensation for you.)
expensive and complex/effortful
cost risk: several hundred euros
very time-consuming (several hours)
chances of success unclear
experience unknown (depends on specialty)
high stress factor (meetings, paperwork, phone calls)