Delay Compensation at Birmingham Airport - Flightright UK

Trustpilot 4.1/5 based on 2,132 reviews

Birmingham Airport - Ticket refund and compensation in case of flight delays and cancellations

Check your claim for compensation online now in just 2 minutes

birmingham airport
Air passenger rights expert

Approved by Oskar de Felice

Air passenger rights expert

99% success rate in court
Since 2010 on the market
No financial risk

Birmingham Airport flight delays and cancellations

Birmingham Airport is one of the 10 largest airports in the UK. It flies to more than 26 different destinations worldwide. In terms of punctuality, it performs at about the average rate of UK airports. Nevertheless, delays and cancellations do occur when flying out from this airport. According to Flightright Data, in 2023, Birmingham Airport had a total of 38,874 scheduled flights. Out of these, 292 flights were cancelled, representing 0.75% of all scheduled flights. In addition, 208 flights were delayed, making up 0.54% of the total. There were 500 incidents, which constituted 1.29% of all departing flights.

Whichever airline you flew out with from Birmingham Airport, we are here to help ensure that your rights are enforced. Check with our free online calculator if you’re eligible for compensation.

Check your claim in 2 minutes

Your rights when delayed at Birmingham Airport

  • According to EU law – up to €600 compensation
  • Flights dating as far back as 6 years are claimable
  • Ticket price is not a factor
  • If the flight was delayed at least 3 hours, overbooked or cancelled

Tips and Tricks when delayed at Birmingham Airport

  • Confirm the cause of the delay with the airline
  • Gather data: screenshots/photos, vouchers, expenses etc
  • Make sure to get your basic benefits and services at the airport
  • Exchange contact information with other affected passengers

Here is some further information on your passenger rights and the EU Regulation

In which case is your flight delay eligible for compensation?

The amount of compensation is calculated based on the flight distance – not on the amount you originally paid for your ticket. Fundamentally, if the flight arrives at its destination with a delay of at least 3 hours and falls under the current EU Regulation, you’ll have a claim. Compensation is still claimable on flights up to 6 years retrospectively. Here is some information about which level of compensation you’ll be entitled to:

Delay, cancellation, overbooking or missed connection flight? You are entitled to:

Short distance up to 1500 kmMedium distance up to 3500 kmLong distance from 3500 km
e.g. London – Edinburghe.g. London – Athense.g. London – Tokyo
250€400€600€

Statistical Overview of Airlines at Birmingham Airport in 2023

Birmingham Airport experienced a diverse range of operations from various airlines. The most active carrier was Ryanair, operating a total of 7,503 flights with 9 cancellations and 66 delays, reflecting a strong performance with minimal disruptions. Following close behind, Jet2 managed 6,877 flights, with only 1 cancellation and 40 delays, indicating high operational reliability. TUI Airways (Thomson Airways) operated 4,388 flights with no cancellations and only 5 delays, showcasing excellent punctuality. EasyJet, with 3,979 flights, faced 48 cancellations and 20 delays, indicating a moderate level of operational challenges. Overall, the operational data from Birmingham Airport in 2023 showcases a reliable performance from its top carriers, with generally low cancellation and delay rates.

Top 5 Airlines at Birmingham Airport

Below is a summary table of the top 5 airlines based on the number of flights, cancellations, and delays at Birmingham Airport:

Airline NameTotal FlightsCancellationsDelays
Ryanair7,503966
Jet26,877140
TUI Airways (Thomson Airways)4,38805
easyJet3,9794820
Aer Lingus2,872358
Check your claim in 2 minutes

Additional services at Birmingham Airport

If the departure suffers a bad delay, you gain the right to some services and benefits. These become available depending on how long the flight has been delayed and the distance of the flight. Here is a breakdown of what you’ll become eligible for:

  • Short distance, below 1500 km: from 2 hours waiting time, complimentary drinks, food and 2 phone calls, emails or faxes
  • Medium distance, between 1500-3500 km: from 3 hours waiting time, complimentary drinks, food and 2 phone calls, emails or faxes
  • Long-haul, from 3500 km: from 4 hours waiting time, complimentary drinks, food and 2 phone calls, emails or faxes

When the delay extends over 5 hours

If delayed over 5 hours, you’re entitled to cancel your flight. The airline is obliged to either refund your booking or offer an alternative means of transportation.

Departure pushed back till the next day

You’re eligible for a night in a hotel and the airline must also cover the expense of getting you to and from the hotel and airport. Contact the airline directly and request a written confirmation of this.

The Flightright Guarantee

Thanks to our experience in this sector, we enforce compensation with very high success rates. This is why we are able to guarantee a completely free service in unsuccessful cases!

  • up to €600 compensation per person
  • over 11,000,000 happy customers
  • 99% success rate in court

Useful advice & information about Birmingham Airport

Punctuality at this airport is average

Birmingham Airport sits at about average in terms of flight delays and cancellations when compared to other airports in the UK. Of course, it is still subject to more disruptions than customers would hope for, with 71,000 minutes of delay and 129 outright cancellations. Based on Flightright data, in 2023 Birmingham Airport recorded a total of 38,874 scheduled flights. Of these, 292 flights were cancelled, representing 0.75% of all scheduled flights. Added to this, 208 flights were delayed, representing 0.54% of the total. There were 500 incidents, representing 1.29% of all departing flights.

Using the wifi at Birmingham Airport

Birmingham Airport offers round the clock complimentary wifi. Additionally, if your device is running low on battery, charging stations are available at most of the airline gate areas.

More information about Birmingham Airport can be found here.

Check your claim in 2 minutes

Your flight from Birmingham Airport did not go as planned?

Passengers may be entitled to compensation for flight delays, cancellations and overbooking under EU law. Flightright enforces your rights.

Recently cancelled or delayed flights at Birmingham Airport

Here you’ll find delays and cancellations at Birmingham Airport that could entitle you to financial compensation. Use our online calculator to check your entitlement to compensation and let Flightright do the rest of the work.

Search

Strike action at Birmingham Airport

If your scheduled take-off is badly affected by strikes at the airport, you’ll be eligible for some additional services and benefits. As strikes are considered to be an ‘exceptional circumstance’, you will not be able to file for compensation against the airline, although they should find you alternative transportation.

What rights do I have as a passenger if my flight is canceled due to a strike at Birmingham Airport?

If your flight is planned to depart from Birmingham and there is a strike at the airport, first check if your flight is affected by the cancellations due to the strike. According to the EU Passenger Rights Regulation, you are entitled to alternative transportation or a refund of the ticket price. In addition, you may be entitled to compensation if there are no extraordinary circumstances, and it is an internal airline strike. Contact your airline for further information regarding substitute transportation, rebooking, or ticket refund as well as on-site services such as meals and, if necessary, accommodation and transportation to the hotel.

Can I get compensation if my flight is delayed or canceled at Birmingham due to a strike?

A flight cancellation or significant delay of more than three hours due to a strike is often considered an extraordinary circumstance, provided the strike is not within the control of the airline or its personnel. There is no entitlement to compensation in case of extraordinary circumstances. However, passengers should be aware of their rights to basic care and catering services at Birmingham Airport. This includes meals, refreshments, and, if necessary, accommodation, depending on the duration of the delay and the flight distance. Also, important to know: If your flight is canceled because the airline staff is on strike, you are entitled to a refund of your ticket price, alternative transportation, on-site catering, and additional compensation.

Scroll to Top