Liverpool John Lennon Airport: Refund and compensation - Flightright UK

Trustpilot 4.1/5 based on 2,132 reviews

Liverpool John Lennon Airport - Ticket refund and compensation in case of flight delays and cancellations

Check your claim for compensation online now in just 2 minutes

Liverpool John Lennon Airport
Air passenger rights expert

Approved by Oskar de Felice

Air passenger rights expert

99% success rate in court
Since 2010 on the market
No financial risk

About the Airport

Liverpool John Lennon Airport is Liverpool’s premier airport, named after the legendary former Beatle. The airport even has a line from Lennon’s 1971 song ‘Imagine’ – “above us only sky” – as its slogan. John Lennon is also depicted in cartoon form alongside the airport’s name. The average record for Britain’s main airports showed that 78% of flights were on time, which makes Liverpool one of Britain’s best when it comes to punctuality.

According to Flightright Data, in 2023, Liverpool Airport had a total of 14,788 scheduled flights. Out of these, 115 flights were cancelled, representing 0.78% of all scheduled flights. In addition, 72 flights were delayed, making up 0.49% of the total. There were 187 incidents, which constituted 1.26% of all departing flights.

If you suffer disruption, we will help you to claim your compensation with whichever airline you were flying with. Make use of our free online calculator and check if you are eligible for compensation.

Check your claim in 2 minutes

History of one of the busiest Airports in the UK

Liverpool John Lennon Airport is an international airport, which is situated some 7.5 miles from Liverpool city center in the southeast area of Speke. Between 1997 and 2007 there was a dramatic increase in passenger numbers at the airport, rising from just under 700,000 in 1997 to nearly 5.5 million ten years later.

Before its current name (which was changed in 2001), Liverpool John Lennon Airport went by the name of Speke Airport, and the present location was first utilized for flights in 1930. The airport wasn’t opened officially until the middle of 1933 however, by the end of the decade the airport was proving to be a popular medium of travelling to and from Ireland. The name of the airport changed during World War II, and it became a key part of the British war effort as RAF Speke.

Flight Delays at Liverpool and What to do

Delays can occur on both departing and arriving flights at Liverpool, with many of the recently delayed flights involving Ryanair and easyJet. The busiest route from the airport is to Belfast, with approximately 450,000 people utilizing this route. Being the busiest route, it is common for flights to be delayed from Belfast, as well as other Irish cities such as Dublin, Cork. Flights to Malaga, Spain, have also experienced delays in the past.

When flying from Liverpool or arranging to pick someone up, you should always check for current delays to avoid airport wait time. If flights are delayed, passengers should be aware of their rights and claim for compensation should their flight be deemed eligible.

Based on Flightright data, in 2023 Liverpool Airport recorded a total of 14,788 scheduled flights. Of these, 115 flights were cancelled, representing 0.78% of all scheduled flights. Added to this, 72 flights were delayed, representing 0.49% of the total. There were 187 incidents, representing 1.26% of all departing flights.

Delay, cancellation, overbooking or missed connection flight? You are entitled to:

Short distance up to 1500 kmMedium distance up to 3500 kmLong distance from 3500 km
e.g. London – Edinburghe.g. London – Athense.g. London – Tokyo

Statistical Overview of Airlines at Liverpool Airport in 2023

Liverpool Airport experienced varied performance among its top airlines. The most active carrier was easyJet, operating a total of 7,046 flights with 76 cancellations and 29 delays, reflecting a moderate level of disruptions. Following close behind, Ryanair managed 5,381 flights, with 10 cancellations and 24 delays, indicating a relatively smooth operation compared to its volume of flights. Loganair had 704 flights with 9 cancellations and no delays, demonstrating a commendable operational efficiency. Wizz Air operated 602 flights, with 3 cancellations and 9 delays, showing a slightly higher delay rate. Aer Lingus had 360 flights with 10 cancellations and 4 delays, indicating some operational challenges. Overall, the operational data from Liverpool Airport in 2023 showcases a diverse performance spectrum among its busiest airlines, with easyJet and Ryanair being the predominant carriers.

Top 5 Airlines at Liverpool Airport

Below is a summary table of the top 5 airlines based on the number of flights, cancellations, and delays at Liverpool Airport:

Airline NameTotal FlightsCancellationsDelays
Wizz Air60239
Aer Lingus360104

What rights do I have?

Under EU law, you can get up to 480£ compensation in the event of a delay, cancellation or overbooking of your flight. This is true regardless of the ticket price and up to 6 years retrospectively.

What to do when delayed?

  • gather information
  • Take photos
  • You are entitled to vouchers
  • Keep documents from the airline, such as letters, tickets, vouchers
Check your claim in 2 minutes

Recently cancelled or delayed flights at John Lennon Airport

Here you’ll find delays and cancellations at John Lennon Airport that could entitle you to financial compensation. Use our online calculator to check your entitlement to compensation and let Flightright do the rest of the work.


What rights do I have as a passenger if my flight is canceled due to a strike at Liverpool Airport?

If your flight is planned to depart from Liverpool and there is a strike at the airport, first check if your flight is affected by the cancellations due to the strike. According to the EU Passenger Rights Regulation, you are entitled to alternative transportation or a refund of the ticket price. In addition, you may be entitled to compensation if there are no extraordinary circumstances, and it is an internal airline strike. Contact your airline for further information regarding substitute transportation, rebooking, or ticket refund as well as on-site services such as meals and, if necessary, accommodation and transportation to the hotel.

Can I get compensation if my flight is delayed or canceled at Liverpool due to a strike?

A flight cancellation or significant delay of more than three hours due to a strike is often considered an extraordinary circumstance, provided the strike is not within the control of the airline or its personnel. There is no entitlement to compensation in case of extraordinary circumstances. However, passengers should be aware of their rights to basic care and catering services at Liverpool Airport. This includes meals, refreshments, and, if necessary, accommodation, depending on the duration of the delay and the flight distance. Also, important to know: If your flight is canceled because the airline staff is on strike, you are entitled to a refund of your ticket price, alternative transportation, on-site catering, and additional compensation.

We will be happy to help you in case of flight problems with the airline for:

We have already been able to help with problems at the following airports, among others

We have already taken successful action against these and more airlines

Your flight did not go as planned?

In the event of flight delays, cancellations and overbooking, passengers may be entitled to compensation or ticket reimbursement. Flightright enforces your rights.

Scroll to Top