Bristol Airport: Flight Delay Compensation - Flightright UK

Trustpilot 4.1/5 based on 2,132 reviews

Bristol Airport - Ticket refund and compensation in case of flight delays and cancellations

Check your claim for compensation online now in just 2 minutes

Bristol Airport
Air passenger rights expert

Approved by Oskar de Felice

Air passenger rights expert

99% success rate in court
Since 2010 on the market
No financial risk

Bristol Airport is one of the UK’s top ten busiest airports based on numbers of flights and passenger footfall. This airport connects directly to 119 other airports worldwide, as well as offering many other connecting flight options. According to Flightright Data, in 2023, Bristol Airport had a total of 33,120 scheduled flights. Out of these, 376 flights were cancelled, representing 1.14% of all scheduled flights. In addition, 218 flights were delayed, making up 0.66% of the total. There were 594 incidents, which constituted 1.79% of all departing flights. In terms of punctuality – both for delays and cancellations – Bristol performed close to the average for UK airports. As such, they still suffered their fair share of disruptions.

If you’ve been subject to disruption when flying out of Bristol Airport, we’ll help level the playing field between you and the responsible airline. Our straightforward online calculator will allow you to check for free if you’re eligible for compensation and submit a claim online.

Check your claim in 2 minutes

Your rights when delayed at Bristol Airport

  • Up to €600 compensation based on EU regulation
  • Flights as old as 6 years
  • Independent of the ticket price
  • When the flight was cancelled, delayed at least 3 hours or overbooked

Tips and Tricks when delayed at Bristol Airport

  • Get confirmation of the cause of delay from the airline
  • Collect proof: pictures, details of expenditure, vouchers etc
  • Make sure you claim your basic benefits and services at the airport
  • Exchange contact details with fellow delayed passengers

See here some further information regarding your passenger rights and the eu-regulation.

In which cases do flight delays qualify for compensation?

The amount of compensation is determined by the flight distance – the amount you paid for your ticket is irrelevant. Essentially, your flight has to arrive at its destination with a delay of a minimum of 3 hours and apply under the current EU Legislation. Claims remain valid as far back as 6 years retrospectively. Below is an overview of which compensation you’ll be entitled to:

Delay, cancellation, overbooking or missed connection flight? You are entitled to:

Short distance up to 1500 kmMedium distance up to 3500 kmLong distance from 3500 km
e.g. London – Edinburghe.g. London – Athense.g. London – Tokyo

Statistical Overview of Airlines at Bristol Airport in 2023

Bristol Airport experienced significant activity. The most active carrier was easyJet, operating a total of 17,995 flights with 268 cancellations and 104 delays, reflecting a busy and operationally challenging year. Following close behind, Ryanair managed 5,641 flights, with 10 cancellations and 65 delays, indicating their significant contribution to the airport’s traffic. Other notable performers include Jet2 with 2,923 flights and no cancellations but 22 delays, TUI Airways (Thomson Airways) with 2,155 flights without any cancellations or delays, and KLM Cityhopper with 1,156 flights, 33 cancellations, and 9 delays. Overall, the operational data from Bristol Airport in 2023 showcases a robust performance with a few operational challenges, primarily seen in delays and cancellations.

Top 5 Airlines at Bristol Airport

Airline NameTotal FlightsCancellationsDelays
TUI Airways (Thomson Airways)2,15500
KLM Cityhopper1,156339

Bristol Airport: Additional services

If your flight departure is badly affected by delay, you’ll be entitled to some basic services and benefits. The availability of these is dictated by the length of the delay as well as the length of the flight. Below is a breakdown of what you’ll be eligible for:

  • Short distance, below 1500 km: from 2 hours delayed – complimentary food and drinks, plus 2 emails, phone calls or faxes
  • Medium distance, between 1500-3500 km: from 3 hours delayed – complimentary food and drinks, plus 2 emails, phone calls or faxes
  • Long-haul, from 3500 km: from 4 hours delayed – complimentary food and drinks, plus 2 emails, phone calls or faxes

If you’re delayed longer than 5 hours

You have the right to cancel your flight if the delay runs over 5 hours. The airline then has a responsibility to reimburse you or offer you alternative transportation to your destination.

If the departure is delayed until the next day

In cases where the flight has been postponed until the following day the airline must organise, and cover the cost of, a stay in a hotel and the transport to and from the hotel and airport. Get in contact with the airline directly and ask them to confirm this in writing.

Check your claim in 2 minutes

The Flightright Promise

Thanks to our expertise, we have a very high success rate when enforcing compensation. That’s why we are able to promise a completely free of charge service in unsuccessful cases.

  • up to €600 compensation per person
  • over 11,000,000 happy customers
  • 99% success rate in court

Useful advice & information about Bristol Airport

Punctuality not the worst, but could do with some improvement
Based on Flightright data, in 2023 Bristol Airport recorded a total of 33,120 scheduled flights. Of these, 376 flights were cancelled, representing 1.14% of all scheduled flights. A further 218 flights were delayed, representing 0.66% of the total. There were 594 incidents, or 1.79% of all departing flights.

Wifi at Bristol Airport
Up to 2 hours of free wifi is available to all passengers using Bristol airport. If you exceed this timeframe charges will apply. There is also the option of some internet desks before and after the security checks at the airport.

More information about Bristol Airport is available on their website.

Recently cancelled or delayed flights at Bristol Airport

Here you’ll find delays and cancellations at Bristol Airport that could entitle you to financial compensation. Use our online calculator to check your entitlement to compensation and let Flightright do the rest of the work.


Strike action at Bristol Airport

Strikes at the airport will likely badly affect flights, and as such passengers who suffer disruption are entitled to some services and benefits, as well as the possibility of the airline providing them with alternative transportation. EU Regulation judged that strikes are an ‘exceptional circumstance’ and therefore compensatory claims for delays or cancellations against the airlines are not valid when strikes were the cause.

What rights do I have as a passenger if my flight is canceled due to a strike at Bristol Airport?

If your flight is planned to depart from Bristol and there is a strike at the airport, first check if your flight is affected by the cancellations due to the strike. According to the EU Passenger Rights Regulation, you are entitled to alternative transportation or a refund of the ticket price. In addition, you may be entitled to compensation if there are no extraordinary circumstances, and it is an internal airline strike. Contact your airline for further information regarding substitute transportation, rebooking, or ticket refund as well as on-site services such as meals and, if necessary, accommodation and transportation to the hotel.

Can I get compensation if my flight is delayed or canceled at Bristol due to a strike?

A flight cancellation or significant delay of more than three hours due to a strike is often considered an extraordinary circumstance, provided the strike is not within the control of the airline or its personnel. There is no entitlement to compensation in case of extraordinary circumstances. However, passengers should be aware of their rights to basic care and catering services at Bristol Airport. This includes meals, refreshments, and, if necessary, accommodation, depending on the duration of the delay and the flight distance. Also, important to know: If your flight is canceled because the airline staff is on strike, you are entitled to a refund of your ticket price, alternative transportation, on-site catering, and additional compensation.

We will be happy to help you in case of flight problems with the airline for:

We have already been able to help with problems at the following airports, among others

We have already taken successful action against these and more airlines

Your flight did not go as planned?

In the event of flight delays, cancellations and overbooking, passengers may be entitled to compensation or ticket reimbursement. Flightright enforces your rights.

Scroll to Top