Lufthansa flight delays and cancellations
Lufthansa is the largest airline in Germany, and when combined with its many subsidiaries it operates the largest fleet size in Europe. The airline has a vast network which reaches 197 worldwide destination airports. When flying out from the UK, Lufthansa suffered not too many lengthy delays, but it cancelled a higher proportion of flights than many of its competitors in 2016.
According to EC Regulation 261/2004, passengers have the right to cliam compensation from Luftansa for denied boarding due to overbooked flights and for flight delayed for 3 hours or cancelled without any prior notice.
If you’ve suffered disruption when flying with Lufthansa, we’ll fight to uphold your right to compensation. You can easily check if your flight qualifies by making use of our free online calculator.
Your rights when delayed with Lufthansa
- EU law states that you can claim up to €600 compensation
- No matter the cost of the ticket
- Flights up to 6 years old could be claimable
- When the flight was delayed at least 3 hours, cancelled or overbooked
Tips and Tricks when delayed with Lufthansa
- Establish what caused the delay with the airline
- Collect data: photos, receipts, expenses, vouchers etc
- Insist on your basic benefits and services at the airport
- Exchange contact information with other disrupted passengers
More detailed information regarding your passenger rights and the EU law
When does flight disruption qualify a passenger for compensation?
The amount of compensation is dictated by the distance of the flight - not on the amount you paid for your ticket. Fundamentally the flight must arrive at its destination with a delay of at least 3 hours and be applicable under the current EU Regulation. Your claims are valid up to 6 years retrospectively. Here is a breakdown of the compensation you’ll be entitled to, based on the circumstances of your delay:
Lufthansa - Additional services at the airport
If your departure is heavily delayed, you become entitled to some basic benefits and services. These amenities’ availability depend on the distance of your flight. Below, you’ll find an overview what you’re eligible for, and when:
- Short distance, less than 1500 km: from 2 hours delayed departure - free drinks, free food and 2 telephone calls, emails or faxes
- Medium distance, between 1500-3500 km:from 3 hours delayed departure - free drinks, free food and 2 telephone calls, emails or faxes
- Long-haul, from 3500 km: from 4 hours delayed departure - free drinks, free food and 2 telephone calls, emails or faxes
When the delay stretches longer than 5 hours you can, regardless of the distance, withdraw from your flight. The airline must then either reimburse you or offer you alternative transportation to your destination.Departure delayed until the next day
When the flight is postponed until the following day you become eligible for a night in a hotel, including transport to and from the airport. Contact Lufthansa directly and request confirmation of your hotel room and transfers to be provided in writing.
The Flightright Promise
Thanks to our expertise, we enforce customer compensation with very high success rates. That’s why we are able to promise a completely free of charge service if your case proves unsuccessful!