London Heathrow Airport - Flight Delay Compensation - Flightright UK

Trustpilot 4.1/5 based on 2,132 reviews

London Heathrow - Ticket refund and compensation in case of flight delays and cancellations

Check your claim for compensation online now in just 2 minutes

London Heathrow
Air passenger rights expert

Approved by Oskar de Felice

Air passenger rights expert

99% success rate in court
Since 2010 on the market
No financial risk

London Heathrow flight delays and cancellations

Heathrow is the second busiest airport in Europe and connects to more than 185 other airports in more than 84 countries. Considering its size, the London Heathrow Airport is at an acceptable level compared with other UK airports in terms of flight disruptions. Nevertheless, passengers sometimes experience delays and cancellations.

According to Flightright Data, in 2023, London Heathrow Airport had a total of 228,098 scheduled flights. Out of these, 4,724 flights were cancelled, representing 2.07% of all scheduled flights. In addition, 1,220 flights were delayed, making up 0.53% of the total. There were 5,944 incidents, which constituted 2.61% of all departing flights.

If you suffer disruption, we will help you to claim your compensation with whichever airline you were flying with. Make use of our free online calculator and check if you are eligible for compensation.

Check your claim in 2 minutes

Your rights when delayed at London Heathrow

  • According to EU law up to €600 compensation
  • Flights as old as 6 years
  • Regardless of the price of the ticket
  • When the flight was delayed more than 3 hours, overbooked or cancelled

Tips and Tricks when delayed at London heathrow

  • Establish the reason for the delay with the airline
  • Collect proof: photos, receipts of expenses, vouchers etc
  • Exchange contact information with fellow passengers
  • Insist on your basic benefits and services at the airport

More detailed information regarding your passenger rights and the EU-regulation.

In which cases are flight delays eligible for compensation?

The amount you paid for your ticket has no bearing on the amount of compensation you can receive – this is determined by the distance of your flight. Fundamentally your flight has to arrive at its destination with a delay of at least 3 hours and fall under the current EU regulation. Your claims are valid retrospectively for up to 6 years. Here is some information about which compensation you’ll be eligible for:

Delay, cancellation, overbooking or missed connection flight? You are entitled to:

Short distance up to 1500 kmMedium distance up to 3500 kmLong distance from 3500 km
e.g. London – Edinburghe.g. London – Athense.g. London – Tokyo

Statistical Overview of Airlines at London Heathrow in 2023

London Heathrow experienced significant activity in 2023. The most active carrier was British Airways, operating a total of 113,512 flights with 3,448 cancellations and 591 delays. Following close behind, Virgin Atlantic managed 10,558 flights, with 60 cancellations and 21 delays. American Airlines operated 8628 flights with 86 cancellations and 154 delays. United Airlines had 7237 flights with 134 cancellations and 91 delays. Overall, the operational data from London Heathrow in 2023 showcases the busy and dynamic nature of this major international hub. Based on the size of their operation, this actually leaves Heathrow somewhere in the middle for punctuality when compared to other UK airports.

Top 5 Airlines at London Heathrow

Below is a summary table of the top 5 airlines based on the number of flights, cancellations, and delays at London Heathrow:

Airline NameTotal FlightsCancellationsDelays
British Airways113,5123,448591
Virgin Atlantic10,5586021
American Airlines8,62886154
United Airlines7,23713491
Aer Lingus6,807686

Additional services at London Heathrow

If your departure is heavily delayed, you will be eligible for some benefits. These depend on how long you’re delayed for and the distance of the flight. Below is an overview of what you’re eligible for:

  • Short distance, below 1500 km: waiting 2 hours or more – complimentary food and drinks, as well as 2 phone calls, emails or faxes
  • Medium distance, between 1500-3500 km: waiting 3 hours or more – complimentary food and drinks, as well as 2 phone calls, emails or faxes
  • Long-haul, from 3500 km: waiting 4 hours or more – complimentary food and drinks, as well as 2 phone calls, emails or faxes

More than 5 hours of delay

If the delay time extends past 5 hours, you’ve got the right to cancel your flight. The airline is obliged to either reimburse you in full or offer you alternative transportation.

Departure postponed until the next day

When the flight is delayed till the next day the airline must see that you are accommodated in a hotel and cover your costs of transport to and from the hotel and airport. Get in touch with the airline directly and ask for a written commitment on your hotel and transfers.

Check your claim in 2 minutes

The Flightright promise

Thanks to our expertise we enforce compensation with a very high success rate. This is what allows us to offer a free service if your case is unsuccessful!

  • up to €600 compensation per person
  • over 11,000,000 happy customers
  • 99% success rate in court

Useful advice & information about London Heathrow

Punctuality could do with some improvement

Based on Flightright data, in 2023, London Heathrow Airport recorded a total of 228,098 scheduled flights. Of these, 4,724 flights were cancelled, representing 2.07% of all scheduled flights. Added to this, 1,220 flights were delayed, representing 0.53% of the total. There were 5,944 incidents, representing 2.61% of all departing flights.

Wifi at London Heathrow Airport

Wifi is available for all passengers in all terminals at Heathrow Airport. You’ll need to register with their wifi for standard access. Alternatively, if you’re a Heathrow member you can enjoy much faster speeds, or you can pay extra for this privilege.

More information about London Heathrow can be found here.

Recently cancelled or delayed flights at London Heathrow Airportt

Here you’ll find delays and cancellations at London Heathrow Airport that could entitle you to financial compensation. Use our online calculator to check your entitlement to compensation and let Flightright do the rest of the work.


Strike action at London Heathrow

If strikes are carried out at London Heathrow Airport, you’ll most likely be unable to claim compensation for delays or cancellations, as the airlines consider this an ‘exceptional circumstance’. You will still be able to receive additional services and benefits, including the option for alternative transportation.

What rights do I have as a passenger if my flight is canceled due to a strike at London (Heathrow) Airport?

If your flight is planned to depart from London (Heathrow) and there is a strike at the airport, first check if your flight is affected by the cancellations due to the strike. According to the EU Passenger Rights Regulation, you are entitled to alternative transportation or a refund of the ticket price. In addition, you may be entitled to compensation if there are no extraordinary circumstances, and it is an internal airline strike. Contact your airline for further information regarding substitute transportation, rebooking, or ticket refund as well as on-site services such as meals and, if necessary, accommodation and transportation to the hotel.

Can I get compensation if my flight is delayed or canceled at London (Heathrow) due to a strike?

A flight cancellation or significant delay of more than three hours due to a strike is often considered an extraordinary circumstance, provided the strike is not within the control of the airline or its personnel. There is no entitlement to compensation in case of extraordinary circumstances. However, passengers should be aware of their rights to basic care and catering services at London (Heathrow) Airport. This includes meals, refreshments, and, if necessary, accommodation, depending on the duration of the delay and the flight distance. Also, important to know: If your flight is canceled because the airline staff is on strike, you are entitled to a refund of your ticket price, alternative transportation, on-site catering, and additional compensation.

Scroll to Top