Key Points about “Lufthansa strike”
- Explains passenger rights during a Lufthansa strike.
- Airlines must offer alternative flights or refunds.
- Compensation may be available for delays or cancellations.
- Passengers should document expenses and contact airline.
- Third-party services can assist with compensation claims.
You had a flight delay or a flight cancellation? Check your rights now and increase your chances of compensation
In the event of a strike by pilots and/or cabin crew, as in the case of Lufthansa strikes, the travellers concerned are entitled to alternative flights and, if necessary, to compensation in the event of flight cancellation.
When were the last Lufthansa strikes?
Cancelled and delayed flights, as well as missing luggage: In the middle of the holiday season, the strike of Lufthansa pilots causes chaos at the airports.
But what are the rights of travellers? In the following table, we offer you an overview of the previous strikes at the airline Lufthansa. Take a look and check with our compensation calculator whether you can receive compensation for your problem flight.
|Airline||When||Reason for the strike||Claim for compensation|
|Lufthansa||02.09.2022||Failed salary negotiations between the Vereinigung Cockpit union and the airline.||Check now|
|Lufthansa||07/27/2022||The call of the union ver.di (Vereinte Dienstleistungsgewerkschaft), to be able to build pressure in salary negotiations.||Check now|
If you are affected by the Lufthansa strike and your flight is cancelled, you always have the right to choose between a ticket refund or replacement transportation, which Lufthansa must offer you. If you arrive at your destination with a delay of more than three hours, you can claim up to 600 euros in compensation from the airline. If your flight is cancelled directly, you may also be entitled to compensation of up to 600 euros, provided that Lufthansa has informed you of the cancellation less than 14 days before departure.
Affected by Lufthansa strikes?
Lufthansa and the other airlines in the Lufthansa Group have not performed particularly well this summer. In a ranking compiled by Flightright on flight cancellations in the summer of 2022, Lufthansa was well ahead of airlines such as EasyJet and Ryanair, with over 3,600 flights cancelled.
Have you booked a Lufthansa flight that is affected or likely to be affected by the Lufthansa strikes? You can check your flight status at any time here.
Why are Lufthansa pilots on strike?
Pilots, flight attendants, ground staff – every few months there is a strike at one airline or another. The most common reason for a strike is salary negotiations. Through the strike, airline employees use the strike as leverage for higher salaries. However, a strike by staff is usually preceded by failed negotiations with the employer.
In this case, the airline employees try to push through higher wages or better working conditions with the employer and use the strike as a means of exerting pressure.
Lufthansa pilots also try to improve their position in salary negotiations by going on strike.
What rights do passengers have during the Lufthansa strike?
- Lufthansa is obligated to arrange substitute transportation for air travellers at the earliest possible time.
- In the event of long waiting times at the airport, Lufthansa air travellers are entitled to care in the form of drinks, meals, telephone calls and overnight hotel stays.
- If a flight is delayed or cancelled by more than 5 hours, air travellers can demand the ticket price. Also entitled to compensation of up to 600 euros.
Your flight is cancelled due to Lufthansa strike?
Are you affected by a flight delay, flight cancellation or flight cancellation?
What am I entitled to under EU regulations in the event of a flight cancellation with Lufthansa?
- If a Lufthansa flight is cancelled less than 14 days before departure, air travellers may be entitled to compensation of between €250 and €600 per person under the EU Air Passenger Rights Regulation.
- Lufthansa Airlines must also either refund the ticket costs or offer free replacement transportation.
- When purchasing a new ticket, passengers are entitled to reimbursement for the more expensive ticket.
- In Germany, passengers: inside have 3 years to claim compensation.
- In exceptional circumstances, compensation may be waived up to €600, but entitlement to ticket reimbursement or replacement transportation remains.
- Note: Your compensation claim is valid for 6 years in the UK. But even if your flight took place more than 6 years ago, you may still be entitled to claim. The 6 year period begins from the end of the year in which the incident occurred, e.g. if you had a cancelled flight on 01.01.2016, you can still claim compensation until the end of 2022.
What are my rights in case of a flight delay with Lufthansa Airline?
- From 2 hours of waiting time, air travellers are entitled to be provided with drinks and snacks by the airline, in this case, the airline Lufthansa.
- For delays of 3 hours or more at the final destination, passengers are entitled to compensation of between €250 and €600.
- Children with their own seats are entitled to compensation payments.
How can we help?
Were you affected by a strike at Lufthansa? EU law is clear: airlines must pay compensation for flights that were delayed or cancelled due to Personnel strikes.
As experts in the field of air passenger rights, we enforce your right to compensation against the airline!
Flightright fights as a market-leading consumer portal for the enforcement of air passenger rights. We stand up for your rights in the event of a flight delay, cancellation or denied boarding and refer to the Air Passenger Rights Regulation 261/2004 of the European Union. Flightright’s air passenger rights experts are also available to assist you with ticket reimbursements and refunds for cancelled package tours.