The most important facts about “What is allowed in hand baggage?”
- There are some rules and restrictions for hand baggage.
- Liquids must be kept in containers of max. 100 ml in hand luggage.
- Liquids should be transported in transparent, resealable bags.
- Electronic devices are permitted in hand baggage, but they must be charged beforehand.
- Dangerous objects such as knives or scissors are prohibited.
- Medical devices and liquids are permitted, but proof is required.
- Hairspray, deodorant spray, nail varnish remover, razors with detachable blades and razor blades are not permitted in hand baggage.
- If you are unsure, you can ask the airline directly. Compensation claims for problems with hand baggage are covered by passenger rights.
Did you have a flight delay or cancellation? Check your rights now and increase your chances of compensation
You’re looking forward to your holiday and everything you need is already packed in your suitcase. Now it’s time to get your hand luggage together and off you go. But wait, what about liquids in your hand luggage? Can I take my water bottle with me, or does it have to stay at home? What is allowed in hand luggage? Today we want to answer this question once and for all.
What is hand baggage?
Before we explain what is allowed in hand baggage, let’s first clarify the question: What counts as hand baggage? In short, all bags, suitcases, travel backpacks and similar items of luggage that air travellers take on board the aircraft and do not have to hand in at check-in are referred to as hand luggage.
What is not allowed in hand luggage?
What is prohibited on the aircraft? To make your journey as relaxed as possible, we have summarized the items that you are not allowed to take in your hand luggage in a clear list:
- Guns and Weapons
- Toys that could be mistaken for weapons
- Scissors, knives, nail files with blades longer than 6 cm
- Razor blades – Are razors allowed in hand luggage?
- Alarm-protected briefcases
- Knitting needles
- Skateboard, ice skates
- Objects that can be used as striking weapons, such as golf clubs
- Chemical, toxic, flammable, explosive substances
- Lithium-metal or lithium-ion batteries and rechargeable batteries with a lithium content of more than 2 g and more than 100 Wh
- Cordless screwdrivers, drills, drill bits
- Defence weapons such as pepper sprays and stun guns
- Liquids over 100 ml
What can I take in my hand luggage?
What can I take in my hand luggage? As so many items are not permitted, it may be easier to ask what you are allowed to take in your hand baggage.
The following items are permitted according to the hand baggage regulations:
How big can hand baggage be?
You now know which items you are allowed to take on board an aircraft. But what are the dimensions of hand baggage? What are the right suitcases for hand baggage, and what are the hand baggage dimensions?
The dimensions for hand baggage are 55 × 40 × 20 cm. The regulations are derived from the pilot’s case for hand baggage.
Hand baggage regulations of the different airlines
Aeroflot hand baggage
Air Canada hand baggage
Air France hand luggage
Alitalia hand luggage
American Airlines hand luggage
Austrian Airlines hand luggage
British Airways hand luggage
Brussel Airlines hand luggage
Condor hand luggage
How heavy can hand baggage be?
How many kg can I take as hand baggage? The regulations for the weight of hand baggage vary between the different airlines and often depend on the type of aircraft used. For most airlines, the maximum weight is between 5 and 12 kg.
Where is hand baggage stowed on the aircraft?
Larger items of hand baggage should be stowed in the overhead compartment. Small items of hand luggage and personal items such as handbags or laptops can be placed under the seat. Please note, however, that if you are late for boarding and are travelling on a full aircraft, you must expect to have to stow larger items of luggage under the seat due to overcrowded overhead compartments. If necessary, however, you can usually check this in free of charge at the gate.
When should you be at the airport with hand luggage?
Most airlines recommend arriving at the airport at least 2 hours before departure. In times of Corona, however, you should arrive at the airport even earlier due to security regulations.
Empty bottle in hand luggage – is this allowed?
Yes, you can take an empty bottle onto the aircraft. Most airlines allow passengers to take empty water bottles through security, and you can then fill them up at the water dispenser after security. However, it is important to note that liquids, including water, are not allowed through security in containers larger than 100ml. So if your bottle holds more than 100ml, you need to make sure it is empty before you take it through security and then fill it up at the drinking water dispenser in the departure area. It is always advisable to check with your airline in advance about their regulations for liquids to avoid potential problems at the security checkpoint.
Something is not allowed in my hand luggage, what now?
After the security check of hand baggage, it is usually difficult to transfer items to the hold, and they have to be left behind. It is therefore advisable to read the regulations of the respective airline beforehand.
How can Flightright help you?
Tip: Flightright can help you enforce your passenger rights! You can check your claims with us free of charge.
As experts in the field of air passenger rights, we enforce your right to compensation against the airline!