The most important facts about winter vacations
- Alpine regions in Germany, Austria, and the Czech Republic are ideal for a snowy winter holiday, where you can enjoy winter sports to the full.
- Cheap travel options for your skiing holiday are ski resorts in Poland or the Czech Republic and for your summer holiday in December you can travel to Turkey at a reasonable price.
- Families enjoy the wide range of family-friendly activities on offer in the ski resorts during their skiing holiday, including indoor playgrounds in children’s hotels, ski courses for children, and fun snow activities such as tobogganing.
- To escape the low temperatures, southern European countries, as well as overseas destinations such as the Caribbean, the United Arab Emirates or Australia, are ideal.
- With our 10 tips for a successful winter holiday, you can ensure a perfect winter holiday.
Did you have a flight delay or cancellation? Check your rights now and increase your chances of compensation
Winter getaways offer a delightful mix of excitement and tranquility for families, couples, and groups traveling from the UK. Whether it’s embracing the brisk charm of the Scottish Highlands for a ski adventure or seeking solace in a cozy Cornish cottage, the spectrum of winter holiday experiences is vast and inviting. The UK’s picturesque winter landscapes provide an idyllic backdrop for those looking to relish the cooler months, while destinations further afield beckon with the promise of sunnier skies and warmer temperatures. With thoughtful preparation and tailored tips for both adults and kids, your winter vacation can transform into an extraordinary journey, perfectly capturing the essence of the season.
Where can you go on holiday in winter?
Within the UK, the Scottish Highlands offer a quintessential winter holiday with their breathtaking landscapes and opportunities for snow sports. Aviemore, in the Cairngorms National Park, is a hub for skiing and snowboarding enthusiasts. Similarly, the Lake District transforms into a serene winter paradise, ideal for those who prefer quiet walks in frosty forests and cozy evenings by the fireplace. Wales, with its rugged coastlines and historic castles, provides a dramatic backdrop for a winter getaway, especially with the chance of snow in the higher regions like Snowdonia.
For those willing to cross borders, the Alps, accessible via a short flight from the UK, are a winter sports haven. Resorts in France, Switzerland, Austria, and Italy offer world-class skiing and snowboarding, along with picturesque villages and luxurious accommodations. If you’re looking for a unique experience, consider the Scandinavian countries – Norway, Sweden, and Finland – where you can chase the Northern Lights, stay in ice hotels, and enjoy traditional winter activities like dog sledding and ice fishing.
Are you having trouble with a cancellation or flight delay and don’t want to accept it without doing anything? You shouldn’t either. After all, you are entitled to compensation in many cases of delay or cancellation.
Flight delay compensation, flight cancellation compensation
Compensation for overbooking
Compensation for denied boarding
Order Flightright conveniently online:
We enforce your refund and compensation!
With us, you can check your claims free of charge in two minutes. You can receive up to 520 pounds compensation per person (minus the success commission).
When did the airline inform you of the flight cancellation or delay?
On the day of the flight or less than 14 days before or more than 14 days before departure.
Are you also affected by a missed connecting flight? Check your flight now. Simple ✔ fast ✔ & without risk ✔
Where can you travel cheaply in winter?
If you are looking for cheap winter destinations, there are various options for an inexpensive yet exciting holiday. In Eastern Europe, especially in countries such as the Czech Republic or Poland, you will find attractive winter offers with affordable accommodation and a wide range of leisure activities. These regions are also known for their charming towns and picturesque landscapes, combining your affordable winter holiday with cultural discoveries.
Another affordable winter holiday destination is Turkey, mainly the regions along the southern coast. Here you will find mild temperatures, historical sights and attractive package deals for a budget-conscious winter holiday. Turkey’s coastal towns invite you to take relaxing walks along the beach and explore the culture, while local markets offer the opportunity to savour the diversity of Turkish cuisine.
For winter lovers on a tight budget, Bulgaria’s ski resorts are also worth considering. With affordable ski passes and affordable accommodation, these destinations offer an attractive way to experience winter sports such as skiing and snowboarding without breaking the bank. Away from the slopes, Bulgarian culture offers an affordable insight into local traditions and hospitality.
Book a winter holiday: When is it cheapest?
Booking a winter holiday is often cheapest outside the main travel periods and holidays, i.e. at the beginning of December, as well as in late January and early February through to March. In the weeks before Christmas and after New Year, skiing holidays are particularly popular and therefore expensive. If you are lucky, however, you may still be able to get hold of cheap last-minute offers.
Tips and recommendations for a winter holiday with the family
For a successful winter holiday with the family, we recommend choosing a child-friendly ski resort and a suitable family hotel. Enjoy activities together in the snow, such as tobogganing and building snowmen. Look out for beginner-friendly slopes and ski courses for children. Also plan relaxing moments, for example in the hotel’s sauna, and check whether childcare services are offered to ensure a carefree holiday for both parents and children.
Where can you ski in the UK?
In the UK, several locations offer skiing opportunities, particularly in Scotland and a few in England. The Scottish Highlands are the most prominent, with resorts like Glencoe, Cairngorm, The Lecht, and Nevis Range offering varied skiing experiences. These areas are known for their picturesque landscapes and challenging slopes. In England, the Lake District and the Pennines have smaller ski facilities, such as Yad Moss and Raise, which cater to winter sports enthusiasts. Although the UK ski resorts might not be as extensive as those in the Alps, they provide a unique experience with their distinct terrains and scenic beauty.
The 10 most beautiful ski resorts for your winter holiday
- Chamonix-Mont-Blanc, France: Renowned for its breathtaking Alpine landscapes and challenging pistes.
- Arlberg, Austria: The cradle of alpine skiing with renowned resorts such as Lech and St. Anton.
- Zell am See-Kaprun, Austria: A picturesque ski resort in Austria with a variety of pistes and a magnificent mountain panorama.
- Dolomites, Italy: A UNESCO World Heritage Site that impresses with spectacular rock formations and first-class slopes.
- Aspen, USA: An exclusive ski resort in Colorado with first-class slopes and an elegant ambience.
- Whistler Blackcomb, Canada: One of the largest ski resorts in the world with first-class conditions for skiers and snowboarders.
- Niseko, Japan: An up-and-coming destination in the Japanese Alps, known for its abundant snowfall.
- Garmisch-Partenkirchen, Germany: The German Alps offer a variety of winter sports options in a charming setting.
- Geilo, Norway: A picturesque ski resort with a relaxed atmosphere in the Norwegian mountains.
- Åre, Sweden: One of Scandinavia’s leading ski resorts, known for its snow-covered landscapes and modern amenities.
Where is it also warm in winter?
While it is colder in winter in many popular European holiday destinations, there are some attractive destinations that offer pleasantly warm weather even in the winter months. In Europe, these include the Canary Islands, especially Gran Canaria and Tenerife. The island temperatures are mild here. If you have wanderlust, the Caribbean, including Barbados and the Dominican Republic, with its tropical warmth and beautiful beaches, is a good choice.
Cities such as Dubai and Abu Dhabi in the United Arab Emirates offer pleasant temperatures all year round, ideal for sightseeing and outdoor activities. In Australia, places like Sydney and Melbourne are also warm and inviting for exploration. Mexico, with its coastal resorts such as Cancún and Playa del Carmen, offers warm weather, historical sights and a rich culture.
Brazil, with cities such as Rio de Janeiro, also offers a winter escape with high temperatures and vibrant life. South Africa, with Cape Town as an example, offers outdoor activities in mild temperatures even in winter. Choosing a destination depends on personal preferences and interests, but these destinations offer a pleasant escape from the cold winter months.
10 tips for your winter holiday
- As a family, book a family-friendly ski resort with easy slopes and children’s ski courses.
- Book a family hotel to ensure fun in the accommodation.
- Take advantage of travel deals for families to make the most of your winter holiday and save money in the process.
- Consider activities such as tobogganing and skiing to give you and the kids fun alternatives to skiing.
- Consider a ski course if you are a beginner.
- Think about taking a relaxing break during your active holiday and make use of the hotel’s wellness facilities.
- Find out about the weather at your destination in advance to make sure there is snow or that you will get your summer break in winter.
- Take a winter hike through the snow-covered forests and enjoy nature and the tranquil atmosphere of the winter landscape.
- Also plan indoor activities for the children, such as indoor playgrounds, to ensure that fun is not neglected even when the weather is less than ideal.
- Book an all-inclusive holiday to enjoy a stress-free stay and not have to worry about a thing.
Conclusion on the topic of “Winter holidays”
With the extensive variety of offers, you decide how you want to spend your winter holiday – whether it’s an active skiing holiday in Germany, Austria or the Czech Republic, inexpensive travel options in Eastern Europe or summer destinations in the south or faraway countries. A winter holiday is a great way to round off the end of the year and get the new year off to a good start.
How can Flightright help you?
Are you stuck at the airport due to a flight delay? Your flight has been cancelled or you have been removed from the passenger list (denied boarding)?
In each of the situations described, you as a passenger have a right to compensation.
According to the UK261 Legislation, passengers are entitled to compensation in the event of a delay, cancellation, overbooking, or missed connection. They can receive up to £520 compensation per person (minus the success commission). This compensation is independent of the ticket price. Flightright enforces your right for you. If necessary also in court.
As the market-leading consumer portal, Flightright fights for the enforcement of air passenger rights. We stand up for your rights in the event of a flight delay, cancellation or denied boarding and refer to the UK261 Regulation. Flightright’s air passenger rights experts are also happy to help you with ticket refunds and refunds for cancelled package tours.
As experts in the field of air passenger rights, we enforce your right to compensation against the airline!